The body always needs nutrients that promote its development and strengthen it. For this reason, it is necessary to follow a balanced diet that gives space to all the food groups that the body needs. For example, it is good to provide recipes rich in proteins.
One of the elements that can’t be missing is, in fact, proteins; these help produce energy, reduce glucose spikes, and increase muscle mass.
One of the most common protein sources in cooking is chicken, but we know that not everyone likes it. Plus, by eating it two or three times a week, the flavor may stew. Although it can be cooked in a variety of ways, we present some simple protein-rich recipes that do not involve the addition of this food.
1. Chickpeas with white yogurt
The first of these three recipes features two high-protein ingredients.
Chickpeas are among the favorite foods to replace meat in the vegetarian diet. In this case, we combine them with white yogurt, which gives creaminess and an incredible texture to the dish.
|Ingredients for the yogurt sauce|
- Heat the olive oil in a pan.
- Add salt and cumin seeds and stir-fry.
- Add pepper one minute after adding the cumin.
- Next, add the chickpeas, stir until well blended and turn off the heat.
- For the sauce, take a small bowl and mix the four ingredients together.
- Serve the chickpeas and garnish with the yogurt sauce.
You can accompany this recipe with slices of toast or nachos. Just be careful not to exceed the portions so as not to add too many calories. An alternative is to accompany this dish with a good portion of vegetables.
2. Fresh tuna and vegetable salad
The second recipe is ideal for enjoying a good slice of fresh tuna. In general, we are used to consuming canned tuna, but this time we propose a more natural solution.
In addition to being an economical fish, tuna has an unmistakable flavor that will give an extra touch to your classic vegetable dish.
- In a frying pan, cook the tuna slice with one tablespoon of olive oil and set aside.
- In another pan, heat the remaining two tablespoons of oil and saute the vegetables until cooked.
- Cut the tuna slice into small pieces and add it to the vegetables in the pan.
- Let the vegetables cook completely and serve.
This stir-fry dish is perfect for a light dinner. We recommend you to pay attention to the amount of salt you are going to add, as tuna has the characteristic to intensify the flavor.
3. Potatoes with shrimp powder
Another easy to prepare and original protein-rich (not chicken-based) recipe is potatoes. We have already tried them and we assure you that your kids will love them too!
Also, shrimp powder can be purchased in any supermarket or, alternatively, you can use dried shrimp or prawns (if you have them at home), and grind them to a powder.
- Squeeze the potatoes until they are mashed
- Add the onion, coriander, salt, pepper, shrimp powder and mix well with all the ingredients.
- With the help of a spoon, take small amounts of the puree and make small balls about 2 inches in diameter.
- In a frying pan, spread some oil and let it heat up. Then, add the potatoes.
- Let them cook completely until they reach the desired color.
You can serve the potatoes with a green salad. In fact, being quick to prepare, they are ideal for days when you are particularly busy and in summer when you want a fresh dish. Moreover, they can be served as a hot or cold dish, so they are great to eat during your lunch break at work.
Finally, you can serve these potatoes with toppings, but remember to choose those based on white yogurt and avoid commercial products.
Did you like these protein-rich, easy to prepare, original, and chicken-free recipes? Have you tried other similar dishes? As you can see, eating healthy and adding protein doesn’t mean eating chicken all the time.